Rolling or spraying antifoul?

Author
Lynn Shrewsbury
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Interested if anyone has advice as to whether rolling or spraying antifoul results in a longer lasting finish? 
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)Forum Expert (898 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Lynn Shrewsbury - 9/1/2020
Interested if anyone has advice as to whether rolling or spraying antifoul results in a longer lasting finish? 

Hi Lynn,
None has weighed in so I will offer what little I surmise from just knocking around over the years: notice I did not say “what little I know”.
Some of your question has to do with how smooth you want your bottom: are you racing for ex.?
And also whether you are using hard or ablative paint.
Rolling can be a pretty smooth bottom, especially if you follow up the rolling with tipping where needed. It has certainly been adequate for me over the decades and I like to sail and like to sail well. I do dive and clean the bottom when it starts to get a bit slimy. The more you do that, especially with ablative paint, the faster you will sail and the less time the bottom paint will last.
I suspect, in answer to your question, long lasting results would accrue with spraying many thin coats, letting things dry in between.
I do not know any cruisers who spray: probably because it would be a dangerous job requiring some good equipment to stay safe as well as a degree of skill (and equipment again) that rolling on paint does not demand.
Random thoughts, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search