Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
HYBRID LITHIUM BATTERIES

Many thanks Team OCC,

I appreciate your comprehensive consideration and most useful responses, in advance of my purchase.

For your further information, I attach the force4 chandlery link to these new batteries;

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/BOS/LE300-Lithium-Extension-Battery-System/29WZ

I’m most grateful for all your help and feedback, especially as my budget is tight and I endeavour to make use of my existing AGM battery bank.

Best wishes and fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
LINK TO HYBRID LiPo BATTERY DATASHEET

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Group: Administrators
I’ve been following this thread for ages and we had resolved to replace AGM’s with AGM’s. However, we have now been convinced to take the plunge and move to LiFePO. In preparation for the installers arrival I have burrowed deep into the bilges to expose the entire bank and have found one case split wide open and one blown. I expect the split one was a result of frost damage. No wonder we have been using the generator so much!

Installation starts tomorrow.

Simon
SoggyPaws
SoggyPaws
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Simon Currin - 7 Nov 2022
I’ve been following this thread for ages and we had resolved to replace AGM’s with AGM’s. However, we have now been convinced to take the plunge and move to LiFePO. In preparation for the installers arrival I have burrowed deep into the bilges to expose the entire bank and have found one case split wide open and one blown. I expect the split one was a result of frost damage. No wonder we have been using the generator so much!Installation starts tomorrow. Simon

Hi Simon,

Great idea!  It will really change your cruising life for the better for a long time to come.  Hope you have done your homework so you can keep up with the installer's ideas.  I'm happy to answer and questions or concerns based on our experience.  Pls let us know how it all turns out.

Dave McCampbell
SV Soggy Paws
Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
What sort of system/components are you looking at Simon?

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)Forum Expert (615 reputation)
Bill
The installation.has been designed here in White Stones by Hank George whom I am sure you know. I have no electrical expertise and have been trying to grapple with the science and Hank has been very patient. Most of the components are, or will be Victron, the batteries are Blue Heron 8 x105 amp hours and we are changing our alternator regular to a modern Balmar. Our wind generator regulator is 16 years old and cannot be programmed for lithiums and I believe we are having Victron DC / DC converter so that we can still use that.

I’ll post updates as the work happens. There are many new isolators and fuses going into our circuitry too. Here’s a picture of our shattered AGM.

Simon
Bill Balme - 7 Nov 2022
What sort of system/components are you looking at Simon?

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Hank will steer you right. Please say hello to him from me.
That’s quite a lot of AH - we only have 600 and we’re a heavy consumer… I recon Hank is trying to up-sell you!!! ;-)

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
No he’s not upselling. The bank is currently configured as 460 Amp hours at 24 volt so he is simply occupying the existing footprint of the cells we have. But I agree we should end up with a lot more useable power.
Simon
Bill Balme - 7 Nov 2022
Hank will steer you right. Please say hello to him from me.
That’s quite a lot of AH - we only have 600 and we’re a heavy consumer… I recon Hank is trying to up-sell you!!! ;-)

Bill Balme
Bill Balme
Poor attempt at humor - Hank is a stand up guy and would only sell what he genuinely believes is required.

Bill Balme
s/v Toodle-oo!

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
It’s done! After 2 weeks of head scratching and digging deep into the piggy bank we now have 840 amp hours of LiFePO battery installed and a fully functioning charging system tailored to our boat’s needs and design. Thank you Hank George for your patience, oversight and ingenuity.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search