Passage Log

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)Forum Expert (900 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
Below please find a companion piece to the Ship’s Log stream we have been talking about. I also do a daily Ship’s Log when on passage, more like a journal as much important data is already in the Passage Log.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy
Passage logs      Alchemy                        
Our Passage Log is filled in a minimum of every 3 hrs. on passage, more often as conditions dictate. The following data is set up on paper sheets pre-printed with spaces for entry. We resort to passage logs when ever we are out for an over-night or longer.
Contents:
TIME: date & time & time zone changes
BOAT DATA: Course by compass, and boat speed, TW(true wind) direction and velocity, barometer reading and its delta, temperature: water and air, point of sail
GPS DATA: COG and SOG, lat/lon, WP (waypoint) bearing and distance
Observations: Conditions; wave/swell & direction relative to boat, weather; clouds, rain
Comments: sail changes etc. and space for the watch to initial entry
A very important point! (at least for me): Although there is a space for departure location and destination, I never fill in the destination until safe arrival. Until then we are not on our way to XYZ, we are “on passage”.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search