What is the best wind vane for solo crossings?

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
NB2

Another Windvane consideration is how it will complement my existing electronic B&G Triton 2 auto-pilot, which is reputed to be overtaking the former electronic auto-pilot market leader NKE, as stated by globalsolochallenge.com website.

Fab interesting stance, some of these solo circumnavigation racers take is that they don’t even consider manual Windvanes as a necessity 🤔

However, personally I feel safer with a manual backup, already knowing a couple of boats who have suffered lightning strikes or suffered complete electronic failure.

What are your views on preventing electronic failures versus ensuring a manual steering option?

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)Forum Expert (614 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sonia,
My Windpilot is the servo-pendulum one and so doesn’t function as an emergency rudder. I think the shipping cost might be prohibitive. I sold it to a guy in Australia but he pulled out when he discovered the cost of shipping greatly exceeded the value of the item.

Simon

Sonia Johal - 29 Nov 2022
Wow Simon,

I’m on the Isle of Wight and super keen, plus I. have the time for three month shipping by sea…

May we discuss further offline? I believe there will be someone qualified here to help me with fitting.

A significant criteria is that it will work fitted off centre, to accommodate my Hanse385 transom design.

Thank you so much for your kind offer 🫡

Fair winds,,

Sonia
SY Salacia

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks Simon,

It was kind of you to offer…. I’d just heard that shipping by three month sea was affordable for heavy items…. Guess I just didn’t realise how heavy these windvanes are!

Best of luck with finding your right buyer.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search