What is the best wind vane for solo crossings?

Author
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Team OCC,

Still prepping my boat please would you share your answers to my two part question…

“A/ What is the best wind-vane for solo crossings, preferably suitable for a Hanse385 sailing sloop with a drop-down transom?

B/ It would be an absolute bonus if my wind-vane could also have an element of hydro-generation?”
Dick
Dick
Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)Forum Expert (892 reputation)
Sonia.Johal - 21 Oct 2022
Hello Team OCC,Still prepping my boat please would you share your answers to my two part question…“A/ What is the best wind-vane for solo crossings, preferably suitable for a Hanse385 sailing sloop with a drop-down transom?B/ It would be an absolute bonus if my wind-vane could also have an element of hydro-generation?”

Hi Sonia,
I would suspect the Monitor has more miles steering a boat (solo or crewed) than any of the others (except perhaps Aries in the old days). That said, some the newer ones (Cape Horn and the like) have strong advocates and lots of at-sea miles.
I have been out of that loop for a while, so please share what your researches reveal.
Never heard of the latter question, but I would shy away from burdoning a mission critical piece of kit (like wind vane steering) with extranious challenges.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Dick - 21 Oct 2022
Sonia.Johal - 21 Oct 2022
Hello Team OCC,Still prepping my boat please would you share your answers to my two part question…“A/ What is the best wind-vane for solo crossings, preferably suitable for a Hanse385 sailing sloop with a drop-down transom?B/ It would be an absolute bonus if my wind-vane could also have an element of hydro-generation?”

Hi Sonia,
I would suspect the Monitor has more miles steering a boat (solo or crewed) than any of the others (except perhaps Aries in the old days). That said, some the newer ones (Cape Horn and the like) have strong advocates and lots of at-sea miles.
I have been out of that loop for a while, so please share what your researches reveal.
Never heard of the latter question, but I would shy away from burdoning a mission critical piece of kit (like wind vane steering) with extranious challenges.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Thanks Dick.

Great to hear from you and I will most certainly share my findings. I appreciate your suggestions and will review them all before getting back to you.

I guess, once I have collected my options, I will see if I can arrange for members to comment on each one, or perhaps even vote !

Currently, the one advertised in Flying Fish is the “Hydrovane” which I believe may have a watt&sea hydrogeneration option, but I await their input before providing any feedback.

I will obviously await my mentor’s feedback too!

Wishing you fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)Forum Expert (605 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Sonia
Not sure where you are based but we have a Windpilot on board in Annapolis which we no longer need. It was great on our old 38’ boat but doesn’t dork on our current (bigger) boat.
Simon
Roberto.Ritossa
Roberto.Ritossa
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Hydrovane, Monitor, Windpilot (not exhaustive list)... very difficult to get it wrong with any of those, hardly ever heard anyone complain about their wind steering system.
Monitor US based, not sure it has such an advantage to others to pay the extra to get it shipped/imported to Europe?
Hydrovane for UK, Windpilot for EU maybe?
Depending on the boat you have there may be more preferable options. To me, boat with closed stern and wire steering, the Windpilot Pacific was optimum: install it in ten minutes, remove it in ten minutes (two bolts). We have a stern arch to lift the dinghy while coastal cruising so a permanent structure in the middle of the transom was no/no.
Our version of WP gives no provision for fitting and emergency rudder, others have that. Try and determine what you exactly need :)
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Thanks Dick,

Will do…although unfortunately everything is taking longer to research than anticipated…

I will of course share my findings, but only once I’m certain of my own findings.

Please do bear with me, as I expect my wind vane choice to be the toughest by far….

Grateful for all your input and feedback,

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Wow Simon,

I’m on the Isle of Wight and super keen, plus I. have the time for three month shipping by sea…

May we discuss further offline? I believe there will be someone qualified here to help me with fitting.

A significant criteria is that it will work fitted off centre, to accommodate my Hanse385 transom design.

Thank you so much for your kind offer 🫡

Fair winds,,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal - 21 Oct 2022

Attachments
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
NB

Just to clarify the considerations for my Windvane choice include my limited budget and include my safety need for an emergency rudder. Plus, I am restricted by Salacia’s Hanse385 lowering platform transom design, requiring an off-centre installation.

So, I consider all off-centre wind-vane options, as I may decide to use a “soft emergency rudder” option;

For example, I have been kindly offered the opportunity of purchasing a pre-sailed Windpilot and investigate Windpilot’s SOS rudder option.

However, I have attached a ‘Sail magazine” cutting with a link to their article about, “Know how to rig an emergency rudder”…

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/know-how-rigging-emergency-rudders

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search