Air fryers

Author
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)Forum Expert (620 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We are contemplating ways to keep our galley cool in the tropics and we are wondering about the use of air fryers.

We have no experience with them but wondered if baking with them in the cockpit (when at anchor ) might avoid firing up the oven and converting the boat’s interior into a furnace?

We are always wary of kitchen gadgets but the smaller ones only require 800 watts for relatively short periods. They appear to be relatively compact and everyone seems to agree that they energy efficient. Allegedly you can bake bread in them.

Is this a good idea or a rubbish one that others have tried and abandoned?
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ahoy Simon,

Personally I love the taste of airfryer food, as it’s usually cooked more consistently all around. Airfryers also come with various temperature and time settings, so I use mine for a quick defrost too!

I have found my galley air fryer to be an absolute god send, as it cooks much faster than my onboard oven… and it browns and crisps roasts using its rotisserie within minutes.

BUT if at anchor I keep the engine running and only use it for up to five minutes. I often pre-cook chicken in a double pan and then quickly airfryer brown for the crispier finish.

Unless I’m plugged into shorepower, I don’t use it to bake bread, as the airfryer needs to be kept switched on for much longer, even though much less time than in our gas oven.

I guess the bottom line is available power.

Fair winds,

Sonia
SY Salacia
Sonia Johal
Sonia Johal
I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)I'm into this (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
NB
I guess in the tropics my onboard Solar would be far more efficient than in the UK, which would make the airfryer potentially more useful for baking too!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search