Traveler hacks

Author
Dick
Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)Forum Expert (934 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Traveler hacks
Hi all,
For those of us with line-control travelers.
I was reminded yesterday of traveler additions to Alchemy (V42-128) that I thought I would share:
The first is to sew-in some sort of stopper on the traveler lines that stops the car before it hits the end-stops. This to make less likely damage to the traveler if/when there is control line left loose inadvertently or there is an unexpected or poorly executed gybe and the traveler car goes slamming across the track into the stop where it might do damage. Better, I think, to have the traveler car fetch up on the line and the brake prior to getting to the end-stop.
The other addition was to use as control lines something stretchy (idea from Attainable Adventures Cruising) such as dynamic climbing rope. I went with nylon braid and watched it yesterday in gusty close-hauled conditions stretch and contract a few inches as the traveler helped absorb the gusts.
Not sure how much difference it makes, but, not being a racer and trying to preclude damage and problems, I try to put in some shock-load-absorbing measures where possible.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

Simon Currin
Simon Currin
Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)Forum Expert (659 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Great tip Dick. Thanks.
Dick - 27 May 2024
Traveler hacks
Hi all,
For those of us with line-control travelers.
I was reminded yesterday of traveler additions to Alchemy (V42-128) that I thought I would share:
The first is to sew-in some sort of stopper on the traveler lines that stops the car before it hits the end-stops. This to make less likely damage to the traveler if/when there is control line left loose inadvertently or there is an unexpected or poorly executed gybe and the traveler car goes slamming across the track into the stop where it might do damage. Better, I think, to have the traveler car fetch up on the line and the brake prior to getting to the end-stop.
The other addition was to use as control lines something stretchy (idea from Attainable Adventures Cruising) such as dynamic climbing rope. I went with nylon braid and watched it yesterday in gusty close-hauled conditions stretch and contract a few inches as the traveler helped absorb the gusts.
Not sure how much difference it makes, but, not being a racer and trying to preclude damage and problems, I try to put in some shock-load-absorbing measures where possible.
My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search