Lofrans Tigres Elec Windlass Dismantling - HELP

Author
nadezhda
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have damage to the mainshaft of my Lofrans Electric Windlass. I have removed the gypsy and inner clutch cons as well as the rope drum and access plate on the port-side. I thought that the shaft would then simply slide out but the main-gear has a convex gear that fits snugly over the worm-drive and this prevents extraction. I think that I have to pull the worm-drive out but it is pressed into place and I can see no method of attaching a puller to it.

[attachment=68]IMAG0046.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=69]IMAG0048.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMAG0046.jpg (409 views, 41.00 KB)
IMAG0048.jpg (404 views, 36.00 KB)
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
It is 12 years since I stripped mine down and I can 't remember the details. As I recall it was a very easy process and I don 't remember any difficulty.I did not need to use a puller. I replaced all seals and bearings.

Do you have the Lofrans Tigres "exploded" diagram. I have a paper copy on the boat but a few years ago when ordering spares I found it was available on the Lofrans website. EC Smith in the UK are (were?) the main UK distributors and were very helpful in identifying parts.

John Franklin
the Admiral
the Admiral
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Have you taken off the circlips from the shaft?

I agree with John that it should come out easily and that there is no requirement to remove the worm gear.

Peter
John Franklin
John Franklin
Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)Junior Member (89 reputation)
When you re-assemble it be sure to use Duralac or Tefgel on the stainless set screws to prevent them "freezing" into the alloy casting. It will make the next strip down very much easier.
John
nadezhda
nadezhda
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Yes - thanks. I bought myself a tube of Duralac for the job. It 's about time I had some.
nadezhda
nadezhda
I have solved my conundrum thank you. At the front of the windlass is a oil-level sighting glass. If you remove this (it is just a plug, not screwed in), then you find the forward end of the worm-drive shaft. I gave it a tap with a drift and it dropped out easily. It looked as if it was securely pressed in and held by its bearings but that is not the case.

Once the worm drive is out, then the main shaft came out easily with the main gear-wheel still attached and the 3 circlips are much easier to get at.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Login

Search